“Weatherproof” Your Outdoor Events at Philadelphia’s Largest Outdoor Venues!
Planning outdoor events can be tricky, especially when you think you can outsmart Mother Nature. Many companies, charities, even families plan their events in the summer because it’s a more relaxed time of year, rates tend to be more affordable, and entertainment options are limitless in the great outdoors. There’s nothing like breathing in the fresh air, however it’s not so pleasant when there is a thunderstorm and the temperature is over 100 degrees!
So how do you “weatherproof” your event? The following five tips will help you choose a property in Montgomery County that has a nice balance of outdoor “green” space, and indoor banquet and restaurant space to accommodate your group indoors or out.
1. Select a venue that has experience in weather related transitions.
Ask questions like, “What do you do when you have an outdoor wedding ceremony and it starts to drizzle an hour before start time” or, “Barbecues require outdoor cooking. If it rains, how do you handle food preparation”. An experienced management team will always have a contingency plan, and you need to discuss this up front. If they don’t have a good solution, I would move on to another venue.
2. Put a lid on it!
If you decide to host your summer event at a park, swim club, picnic area, or even an open field, you are probably in the majority; however you may have missed one big consideration. What do you do if it rains, especially if cancelling is not an option? Select venues that have an option to put “lid on it”! For example, parks need to have pavilions, swim clubs should have a covered deck, and always have a pop up tent handy just in case. By putting a “lid” (or covering) over your party, your guests will not get soggy!
3. Do your research! Go on the internet and look up “the best” family reunions, corporate picnics, teambuildings, golf outings, barbecues, etc. Customers will always give you the straight scoop. The industry has seen a shift in venue selection for summer activities to include rural hotel properties with all services under one roof including hotel rooms, banquet facilities, golf courses, and green space for playing! This has proven to be the very best way to “weatherproof” your event because the contingency plan is to bring the entire event indoors!
4. Timing is everything. Summertime is the best time to take advantage of “value dates”, with the exception of summer vacation resorts! This is a great time to negotiate rates for weekend hotel rates and package deals. Think of everything that you could possibly need for your event and dream big! Does your venue have an indoor pool and outdoor pool? Can you offer a round of golf on a championship course and have planned spouse activities as well? Would your cocktail reception be as fun at the indoor bar as well as the outdoor terrace? Find out every amenity that is offered under one roof and negotiate!
5. Turn lemons in to lemonade!
Montgomery County is home to the area’s most beautiful, versatile, and affordable picnic space in the entire tri-state area and many properties can bring the picnic indoors if it starts to rain. You would be amazed how a ballroom can be transformed to be the perfect setting to do just about anything! Add music and you’ve got dancing; add country music and you’ve got line dance lessons. Teambuilding experts can get everyone involved in friendly competition that might be as much or more fun than an outdoor activity. Most ballrooms have built in A/V and creating a “Movie Tavern” showing a great flick with an abundance of popcorn, milk duds, and lemonade, could be exactly how you turn lemons in to lemonade.
After all, “weather happens”, so don’t be caught without your umbrella this summer at Normandy Farm Hotel and Conference Center. Contact our team of experts today at
(215) 616-8500 and let us help you create the perfect event, with no rain dates needed!
Located just 25 minutes from Center City Philadelphia and situated in the heart of Blue Bell, Pa., Normandy Farm Hotel and Conference Center is more than a meticulously restored American landmark—it's a fully wired, high-tech hospitality venue. Relax on our grand terrace, sip a cocktail in America's oldest silo, play a challenging game of golf on our championship course, plan an event with us or dine on our delectable farm-to-table cuisine. It all adds up to One Historic Experience.